Page Admin: Michael Jefry Stevens |
Page views: 2,552
St. Matthias’ Episcopal Church is believed to be Asheville’s oldest historically African-American congregation. Originally known as the Freedmen’s Church, it was formed at the close of the Civil War as a mission of Trinity Church to serve the needs of the newly freed slaves. In 1867, on land donated by Captain Thomas Patton, a frame church building named Trinity Chapel was built to house the new congregation. The facility included educational space for an active Sunday School and a parochial Day School, which provided the only formal education at that time for both children and adults in the Black community.